MIDI to Arduino Source Code Generator
This is a tool to convert a MIDI file into Arduino source code. It will convert MIDI messages to function calls and automatically add delays for the timing. This is an educational tool - the generated programs will be a 1-to-1 conversion of the MIDI file with no optimization. It is meant to demonstrate the simplicity of programming.
What do I need?
You'll need some MIDI sequencing/notation software to create your MIDI file. Rosegarden (Linux|Windows) seems to work well and is cross-platform, but any software which can generate a MIDI file will probably work.
- Create a new file in your MIDI sequencing software - or open an existing MIDI file
- Find or add a track to your MIDI file and name it according to the feature you want it to control, followed by a space and the Arduino pin number to associate with it. For example, to create tones on pin 8, name the track tone 8
- Add note events in the track at the time you want those events to occur
- Save/export your MIDI file
- Upload your MIDI file using the form below
- Copy and paste the generated code into your Arduino sketch
Need to see a sample MIDI file? Try this one: midi-to-arduino-example1.mid.
Visit the documentation page for specific details on available features.
Wanna support this project or others like it? Click here to help me out!